Last updated on February 21st, 2023 at 10:24 am
If you’ve ever left fruit out too long on your kitchen counter or waited a while to take out the trash, then you know what nuisance gnats are, you may also need some products to make your home smell good along with some sure ways to get rid of the gnats. Gnats are pesky little flies that are found indoors and outdoors. They are drawn to sweet things like fruit and sugary drinks, and they can be a real nuisance in your house. Luckily, there are simple and cost-effective ways to do away with gnats without resorting to chemicals or pesticides.
Let’s explore some homemade traps to get rid of gnats permanently and keep your home gnat-free!
How to make gnat trap DIY without vinegar
If you want to make a DIY gnat trap that’s a little decorative, you can try making a paper cone fly trap. All you need is some construction paper, scissors, and tape. Cut the construction paper into a cone shape and then use tape to secure it in a small bowl, jar, or cup of sweetened water and then place the trap in an area where you see many gnats. The gnats will be drawn by the sugar inside the water and fly into the cone and then get stuck.
This homemade trap for gnats is easy to make, safe to use, and is a great way to help control the gnat population in your house without having to rely on harsh chemicals.
How to get rid of gnats without apple cider vinegar
Most of the homemade remedies for gnats call for the usage of vinegar, especially the apple cider type. But this doesn’t mean you can’t get rid of the annoying pests if you don’t have any at hand. There are plenty of other ways to get rid of gnats.
- Use a vacuum cleaner: Vacuuming your home is one of the most effective ways to remove gnats. Vacuum up as many gnats as you can, then empty the vacuum cleaner bag outside.
- Use essential oils: Essential oils, such as lavender and peppermint, are natural insecticides. Mix some drops of essential oil with water in a spray bottle and spray it on the gnats. The gnats will die immediately.
- Use sticky traps: Sticky fly traps are an effective and non-toxic way to get rid of gnats. Place them around the area where the gnats are. Research has shown that gnats are highly attracted to yellow sticky traps. They will fly to the sticky trap and get stuck on it.
Best homemade gnat trap with vinegar
One of the best homemade gnat traps is to use vinegar. This simple but effective method has been around for many years, and it works like a charm.
Instructions for Making a Gnat Trap with Vinegar
- Pour half a cup of water, some drops of dish soap, and 2 tablespoons of vinegar into a bowl or jar.
- Wrap some plastic wrap tightly over the top of the jar or bowl and secure it with a rubber band.
- Place the jar or bowl in an area of your home where the gnats are most active.
- Let the trap sit for 24 to 48 hours.
- After the allotted time, remove the trap and dispose of the gnats in the trash.
- Repeat the process as often as needed.
That’s it! This simple solution will get rid of bothersome gnats once and for all. And the best part is you won’t have to use harmful chemicals.
How to get rid of gnats with white vinegar
The easiest and most effective homemade trap for gnats comprises three ingredients: 1 part dish soap, 1 part white vinegar, and 1 part water, and then put the mixture in a cup or bowl. Place the cup or bowl in the area where you see the most gnats. The gnats will be drawn to the mixture, then get stuck to the sticky dish soap and drown in it.
how to get rid of gnats naturally
There are many natural ways to get rid of pests in your abode that are both effective and safe to use.
Removing any sources of standing water or food that could be attracting gnats is an excellent way to rid your space of them. Stagnant water, such as that in plant pots and other containers, can provide a breeding ground for gnats. Make sure to empty and clean these containers regularly. Cleaning up any food crumbs or spills can also help keep your home gnat-free.
How to get rid of gnats fast
If you’re looking for a quick fix, you can try using a store-bought insect killer. Look for one specifically designed to kill gnats, such as a bug bomb for gnats or aerosol spray. Make sure to follow the instructions on the can.
How to get rid of gnats in the kitchen
One of the most effective ways to get rid of gnats is to keep your kitchen clean and free of food debris. Make sure to clean up any spills or crumbs immediately and keep all surfaces dry. You should also store food in airtight containers to prevent gnats from getting in.
If you’re dealing with a gnat infestation, you should also consider using insecticides or traps. Insecticides can be purchased at most hardware stores and can be used to control an existing infestation.
how to remove gnats from plants
Gnats are attracted to moist, humid soil and decaying organic matter. The first step to eliminating them is to make sure your houseplants are properly watered. Over-watering can lead to soil that’s too wet and attractive to gnats, so make sure to give your plants enough water without flooding the soil.
The next step is to inspect the soil for any decaying plant matter. If you find any, remove it immediately to discourage gnats from laying eggs. You can also add a layer of sand or gravel on top of the soil — this will help the soil retain moisture without creating an environment conducive to gnats.